- Safari Series: Cultural
- Countries Visited: Ethiopia
- From (per person): $3,986
- Days: 9
This magical 9-day journey takes you through the heritage preserved within Ethiopia's medieval cities of Gondar, Axum and Lalibela. A remarkably preserved collection of castles, monuments and churches, some dating back over two thousand years, provide for an absorbing few days as you gain an insight into the history of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.
Using internal flights to cut down journey times, this tour also takes you to Lake Tana and the Simien Mountains, part of the Ethiopian Highlands. An alternative is to do this trip as a more leisurely 11-day road trip, stopping in at Mekele and Kombolcha, a trip that will require you to be prepared for more basic accommodations.
- Explore Lake Tana, the source of the Blue Nile and home to a scattering of monasteries
- Visit Gonder's Fasil Ghebbi (Royal Enclosure), with its castles, churches, libraries and baths
- Visit the obelisks of Axum, and the two cathedrals of the St Mary of Zion, the older of which is said to house the Ark of the Covenant
- Visit the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, some of the best examples in the world of this form of architecture
|Year Round||01 Jan to 31||$4,286||Enquire now|