- Safari Series: Gorillas
- Countries Visited: Uganda, Rwanda
- From (per person): $11,446
- Days: 12
Africa: Gorilla & Chimpanzee Trekking
Our 12-Day Gorilla & Chimpanzee Trekking safari through the ancient rain forests of Uganda and Rwanda represents one of the world's ultimate primate safaris. Travelling along the Albertine Rift, you will encounter up to 14 primate species including Africa's two Great Apes.
This is a fulfilling trip, with lots of diversity of and activity, during which you will be out of your vehicle for much of the time. It is one of the most cost-effective trips that gets you to two different chimp populations, and two different mountain gorilla populations in two different countries.
The possible sightings you will enjoy are 2 different populations of mountain gorilla, chimpanzees, L'Hoest's monkey, Uganda mangabey, Uganda red colobus, black-and-white colobus, blue monkey, golden monkey, red-tailed monkey, silver monkey, Ruwenzori colobus, grey-cheeked mangabey, vervet monkey and olive baboon.
On request, and at extra cost, accommodation on this tour can be upgraded from Five Volcanoes Hotel to Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, Volcanoes Virungas Lodge, Bisate Lodge or Singita Kwitonda Lodge.
- Visit Kibale Forest, which has the highest primate species density in the world, and is a worldwide Chimpanzee hotspot
- Track mountain gorillas in Uganda's Mgahinga or Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Track mountain gorillas and golden monkeys in Rwanda's Volcanoes national Park, made famous by zoologist Dian Fossey
- Hike in Nyungwe Forest for chimpanzees and numerous other rare primates endemic to the Albertine Rift Valley.